Monday, July 02, 2007

Bikram Yoga - Hot Yoga


So my dad has recently started the practice of Hot Yoga. He just raves about it...so I figured I would try. For those who haven't heard of Bikram/Hot Yoga...I'll explain. The room is heated to 105 degrees. Then for the next 90 minutes, you work your way through 26 asana (postures).

So I've practiced Yoga at a few different fitness locations but this was intense. Honestly about twenty minutes into it, I sat down and tried to find a way to duck out. (They lock the outer doors once the class starts...to protect everyone's personal stuff. So if I left the hot room, I would have been waiting by myself for the next hour until they unlock the door.) I was sitting down because my head was spinning and I was seeing spots. So after what felt like twenty minutes (they don't have a clock on the wall and I didn't bring a watch) of sitting down...I got back up and actually got really into it. The next hour or so was much better.

So in the end I bought eleven additional visits. I'm not sure I can keep up with my dad...but I'm going to try for at least the next eleven visits. I highly encourage everyone to try it...at least for the experience.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I've never heard of this. I don't think we have that down here in Mississippi! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the heat might be too much for me!

Kimberlie Reese Denham said...

This does not sound fun to me. Probably because I am big and pregnant right now. Not to mention, I already have an oven going on in my belly. I'm already hot! Glad you liked it!